Posted on: October 27, 2023
Catering and Event Assistant Job Description
The catering and event assistant is responsible for assisting with food, event and hospitality services to maintain a great experience for members at Bowmanville Older Adult Association. The Catering and Event Assistant reports directly to the Catering Coordinator.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Catering Coordinator with food preparation, delivery of high quality meals and general kitchen support using Safe Food Handling protocols, and with safe use of sharps/knives.
• Engage with volunteers, and give direction as needed.
• Attend events as onsite assistant.
• Assist with event set up and implementation of event in coordination with the Event and Multimedia Coordinator and Catering Coordinator. May include assisting with decorations, table set up, event logistics, and take down of events in addition to food assistance.
• Assist with kitchen clean-up as needed.
• Support food services for café, and special programs where needed.
• Assist in ensuring kitchen supplies are stocked, and food/drinks needed are available for café, events and special programs in conjunction with the Catering Coordinator.
• Assist in monitoring and overseeing sanitary practices. Ensure complete compliance with all food, safety and physical standards and policies in conjunction with the Catering Coordinator. Report any inconsistencies to Catering Coordinator.
• Additional duties as required.
• High School Diploma or equivalent. Post-secondary in culinary studies, or related discipline a plus.
• Food Safe, SafeCheck or Food Handler or equivalent
Employment Type: Part-time
Field of Work: Restaurant/Food Services
Skills and Experience
• 1 year or more experience working in customer service and/or food services industry preferred.
• Basic knowledge of legislation and health and safety protocols for kitchens.
• Knowledge of Safe Food Handling protocols, and safe use of sharps/knives.
• Able to peel, chop, cut, and prep food. Knowledge of standard measurements and portions. Able to use various cooking methods: grilling, frying, sautéing etc. or willingness to learn. Ability to follow recipes. Workable knowledge of kitchen equipment. Comfortability in kitchen environment.
• Good organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to stay calm and work under pressure.
• Good communication skills and interpersonal skills. Ability to work well in a team atmosphere.
• Shows initiative, flexibility and resourcefulness.
• Ability to represent BOAA to members, larger community and partners/partnerships in a manner that reflects well on BOAA.
• Flexible with the ability to work days, evenings and weekends as needed to support events on a part time basis.
• Must be able to lift or carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds during scheduled shifts. Must be able to stand, bend, kneel, reach, push/pull, and walk during scheduled shift.
• Valid Ontario ‘G’ Driver’s License and vehicle available to travel throughout Durham region an asset.
Company informationCompany Name: Bowmanville Older Adult Association
Contact Name: Denise Allen
Address: 26 BEECH AVENUE
Telephone: (905) 697-2856
Prefered method of contact: Email