Posted on: May 16, 2023
The Nourish and Develop Foundation (TNDF) is a non-profit organization located out of Cannington, Ontario. We connect people to nourishing food and supportive resources, empowering the community to come together to develop lasting change.
As we work to keep pace with the increasing need for support in the community, we have been growing our team and programs at an unprecedented rate since 2020.
If you are looking for meaningful employment on a vibrant team, have experience in commercial/banquet cooking, and are passionate about food and helping the community, we want to meet with you!
The Community Kitchen Assistant of TNDF will work closely with the TNDF team and community at large to provide good food and food skills learning opportunities to the community. Working under the supervision of the Community Kitchen Coordinator, and reporting to the Food Access Manager, they will assist Community Kitchen and other food service programs by processing and preparing food to be distributed to the community through programs, events, and partnerships.
$38,025 – $44,850 annually
• Flexible hours
• Lieu time
• Free food every week through our Mobile Food Market and Community Kitchen
• Professional development and team building opportunities
• Comprehensive health benefits, vacation days and sick days
• A positive and nurturing organizational culture
Hours and Location
This is a full time (37.5 hrs/week), permanent position. Standard office hours are Monday – Friday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, however evening and/or weekend shifts will be required for this role, with advance notice given. There is no remote work or hybrid work option available for this position.
This position is based out of our main building at 16 York St, Cannington ON.
Essential Duties Include (but are not limited to):
• Assist the Community Kitchen Coordinator with processing and preparing food to be distributed to the community through TNDF programs, events, and/or partnerships (i.e., food bank, Mobile Food Market, Meals on Wheels, Community Lunch, etc.)
• Help the Education Coordinator plan and run food skills-related workshops
• Occasionally support food bank operations, as needed
• Engage clients, volunteers, and the general community in the kitchen when possible
• Ensure that the kitchen always offers a welcoming and non-judgmental space for all people
• Prepare value-added food items for distribution through food programming and fundraising efforts (spice blends, preserves, salad dressings, etc.)
• Prepare baked goods as required for TNDF programs and community partnerships
• Assist with ongoing kitchen maintenance, inventory, and clean-up
• Help ensure that kitchen initiatives and activities follow FANS (fresh, affordable, nutritious, and seasonal) values whenever possible
• Track kitchen data and provide reports as requested
• Provide kitchen program participants with information on other TNDF programs from which they may benefit (i.e., Mobile Food Market, Social Supports, Women’s Services, Community Kitchen, Education, etc.)
• Actively participate in staff meetings, team trainings, and TNDF community events (i.e., Night Market, fundraisers, etc.)
• Offer support to and communicate often with other staff members
• Perform other related errands and duties as directed
The Nourish and Develop Foundation is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and do not discriminate based on race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics as mentioned in the Employment Equity Act.
For more information or to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or text 905-261-3895. Leave a detailed message with your name, phone number, and the position you are interested in and someone from our team will get back to you as soon as possible!
To register with us and get direct access to all of our programs and services, follow this link: https://tinyurl.com/y28jnbtk
Employment Type: Full-time
Field of Work: Restaurant/Food Services
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum 1 year cooking experience in a professional, high-volume kitchen (commercial/banquet experience an asset)
• A Food Handler Certificate is an asset (we provide this training if you do not have one)
• Nutrition knowledge an asset
• Basic understanding of, or willingness to learn about, systemic poverty, food insecurity, and other social issues
• Knowledge and experience with pickling, fermenting, and canning an asset
• Curious and eager to learn
• Enjoys a team atmosphere and works well with others
• Highly organized with an attention to detail
• Strong verbal communication and active listening skills
• Solution-oriented with experience in problem-solving
• Flexible and adaptable
• Reliable, with an ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• An ability to do heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs) and withstand repetitive movements
• A familiarity with Brock Township, Durham Region, and/or rural communities is an asset
• A valid driver’s license and/or regular access to a reliable vehicle
Company informationCity: Cannington
Prefered method of contact: Apply Online URL